"A breed of satin and steel. Pit bulls are a mixture of softness and strength, an uncanny canine combination of fun, foolishness, and serious business, all wrapped up in love."

-D. Caroline Coile




Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sarge, the Elderbull

I'm Sarge and I'm a 16 year old elderbull. After spending the first 14 years of my life with an animal abuser in Philadelphia, humane law enforcement officers rescued me (and 30+ of my friends) in September 2008 and brought us to the Pennsylvania SPCA. I still have scars and injuries from my old life, but they're all external; on the inside, I'm the most peaceful, happy, forgiving dog you'll ever meet. In February 2009 I went home to my new mom and dad (Kim Wolf and Thad Stringer). I live with five other adopted dogs, including my girlfriend, a 9-year-old adopted pug named Mary Todd Lincoln. In spring of 2009, I got certified with "Pals for Life" to do pet visitation at nursing homes, rehab centers, libraries, etc. I'm one of the oldest (and most famous!) dogs in the program and everyone loves me, especially the ladies! I also visit schools to educate children about animal issues. I've been on television, in newspapers and magazines, and all over the internet. I love sharing my story with anyone who will listen. Just don't ask me about my gas......it's the only dangerous thing about me. (From Sarge's blog)

In May 2010 Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter presented Sarge with the “Humane Educator of the Year” award, and he also won the 2010 “Philadelphia Barking Beauty Pageant” and was featured on NBC 10. Sarge also received achievement awards from Pals for Life and Animal Farm Foundation for his work in the community. After moving from Philadelphia, Sarge now lives in New York with his parents and his 5 canine siblings. To learn more about Sarge, read his blog.
Thanks to private donations and a grant from the Animal Farm Foundation (http://www.animalfarmfoundation.org/), PAWS launched "The Sarge Fund" in 2010 to celebrate and serve the City of Philadelphia’s pit bull population. "The Sarge Fund" enables dogs identified as pit bulls (or pit bull mixes) to receive heavily subsidized spay/neuter surgeries at PAWS’ Spay/Neuter & Wellness Clinic, thus promoting a lifetime of health, companionship, and responsible pet ownership. Since one in four people in Philadelphia lives below the poverty line, PAWS is committed to helping pit bull owners - and all pet owners - obtain affordable and accessible health care for their pets. Doing so allows pets to remain beloved family members, helps reduce the homeless animal population, and limits the number of pets killed in city shelters simply because they do not have homes.


TEAM SARGE!
Want to look good, do good, and feel good all at once? Order a "TEAM SARGE" shirt!




All proceeds benefit "The Sarge Fund" at the Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society (PAWS).







CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE.

To view pictures from Sarge's sweet sixteenth birthday party, click here!

Photos courtesy of Sarge's Facebook page.


http://www.examiner.com/animal-advocate-in-philadelphia/world-famous-pit-bulls-performing-philly#ixzz1C5gA6mGc

No comments:

Post a Comment